Lindsay MacNab, \'15 diet and exercise, combines her love for nutrition and exercise, as well as writing, in her career at FoodMinds.

FSHN alumna’s career shows diversity of diet and exercise degree

For one Iowa State University alumna, finding a way to combine her love for food with her passion for writing into a career was made possible by her degree from Iowa State.

Lindsay MacNab graduated in 2015 with a bachelor of science/master of science degree in diet and exercise, along with a minor in journalism.

“I always had a hidden passion for nutrition and exercise, and I was excited to discover a major that allowed me to take a deep dive into both,” MacNab said. “I knew that I wanted a career in which I could empower others to achieve their health and wellness goals and continue my love for writing, so pursuing a major in diet and exercise and minor in journalism was the perfect avenue for me.”

Following graduation from Iowa State, MacNab accepted a position at FoodMinds, a company that uses communications, science and public affairs to help food, beverage and ingredient companies meet business and public health objectives.

As an assistant account executive and registered dietitian at the company, MacNab develops key messages for clients that support product awareness and nutrition education. She also develops menu models and creates fresh consumer-facing content, among many other responsibilities.

“My education at Iowa State has provided me with the solid nutrition background that I need to excel in my current position and pursue continuing education opportunities for further learning,” MacNab said. “My professors played a big role in my pursuit for knowledge and knowing where to look for credible, evidence-based information.”

One of those professors was Dr. Sarah Francis, an associate professor in Iowa State’s Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition. When MacNab was an undergraduate student, Francis gave her an opportunity to dive into nutrition research. Together, they assessed the effectiveness of a whole grain nutrition education program for older adults, which led MacNab to her graduate thesis project.

While some may think a degree in diet and exercise leads to positions working in a fitness facility or traditional hospital setting, MacNab’s career path proves otherwise.

“Unlike many of our graduates, Lindsay has a position that combines her dietetics expertise and writing,” Francis said. “I think her position shows the diversity of our career field.”

MacNab encourages current students to get involved early on in their college career and make connections that may prove beneficial in the future.

“It’s never too early to seek research assistantships, network with individuals in the food and nutrition industry or attend events/conferences that will expand your understanding of our field,” she said. “Enjoy every minute at Iowa State - your college career will fly by.”

CONTACTS

Lindsay MacNab, ’15 diet and exercise, lmacnab@foodminds.com

Sarah Francis, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, 515-294-1456, slfranci@iastate.edu

Whitney Sager, Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition, 515-294-9166, wjsager@iastate.edu

• “I knew that I wanted a career in which I could empower others to achieve their health and wellness goals and continue my love for writing, so pursuing a major in diet and exercise and minor in journalism was the perfect avenue for me.”
    -Lindsay MacNab

• Tools