Requesting cash payment for research participants
The primary investigator (PI) sends the request to Rachael Kinsella by email or to 2312 Food Sciences Building at least 10 business days in advance of need. The following must be included:
- Dollar amount requested and number of denominations
- Date needed for pick up at treasurers office
- Project name and account number
- Number of expected participants
- Purpose of research participants
The PI will be notified by the treasurers office when cash is ready to be picked up. Requester will need to pick up and sign for cash at 1220 Beardshear.
Less than $75
For research participants paid less than $75 for the entire project:
- All participants must fill out and sign the RPRF for under $75.00 (PDF).
- The signed forms are sent to Rachael Kinsella within 30 days of the request. Include the name of PI.
- All cash requests must be dispersed to participants within 30 days or the cash is returned to Rachael Kinsella.
$75 or more
For research participants paid $75 or greater for the entire project:
- The department requires projects paying $75 or greater to pay participants by check.
- All participants must fill out and sign the RPRF for $75 or greater (PDF).
- The signed forms are sent to 2312 Food Science. Include the name of the PI, fund account and description of project.
- If compensating a non-resident alien, process by check only. 30% is withheld for IRS. This form still needs to be completed but will be sent to 2312 Food Science to process an honorarium for payment. Non-resident alien individuals also must fill out Form 8233 (PDF).
All research payments paid $75 or greater must be handled by check instead of cash.
Non-resident alien: If requesting cash for payment, you will need to know in advance if you plan to pay a nonresident alien. The department will not pay them cash! Both the RPRF and the 8233 for the nonresident alien will need to be filled out and sent to 2312 Food Science.
Timing: Participants receiving checks will be compensated within 10-15 business days of department receiving RPRF forms.
For further questions, please contact Rachael Kinsella at 294-4546 or Lisa Dillavou 294-3027.