Laboratory safety is a top priority for the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition. Therefore, the Safety Committee provides forms and safety information for the department to follow. All laboratories are expected to complete the Annual Checklist and maintain a “safety binder” containing the signed and dated safety documentation.


  • Campus emergencies: Call DPS (515 294-4428) or 911 stating that you are on ISU campus.

  • Urgent repairs: During non-business hours, call DPS (515 294-4428)

  • Safety-related questions: Contact department Safety Contact or Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S), 515 294-5359.

  • Malfunctioning lab equipment: Report this to the professor-in-charge as posted on lab exterior door.

  • Routine maintenance: Such as room temperature control, door lock, plumbing or electrical problems or to replace fume hood light bulbs, Contact Facilities Planning and Management (FPM) 515 294-5100.

  • Lab- or work-related injuries: Report these (no matter how minor) immediately to your supervisor.

Annual FSHN safety checklist and forms

We have supplied this form to help you and your students to keep your lab safe. Please check off each item on the Annual Checklist (doc) as it is completed.

  • Laboratory Safety Manual Review the contents of the Laboratory Safety Manual (PDF) with all lab personnel every year and keep a link to it on the lab computer or printed out in a binder labeled “Lab Safety Manual.” Also,  post signs noting the location of the LSM.

  • Check in/check out All personnel must complete a safety check-in (doc) prior to working in the lab. When employment at ISU or in a particular lab is complete, personnel must fill out a safety check-out (doc).

  • Chemical inventory Use the EH&S Chemical Inventory to create a database of chemicals in the lab and update inventory each year as a matter of national security. Add items to inventory when an order is placed and print out SDS.

  • Laboratory safety surveys Use one or more of the Yearly Laboratory Safety Survey Forms  that fits the uses of your laboratory each year for annual lab inspections. Add a recurrence with reminder to a calendar so these inspections are completed on time.

Research requirements

Before beginning research, lab personnel must perform a safety training needs assessment through EH&S. Use the following resources for other requirements to specific types of research

Studies involving Visit Other helpful links
Human participants Institutional Review Board (IRB)

Protecting Human Research Participants

Department of Health & Human Services,

Food & Drug Administration


Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC)

Procedure for ordering animals

Laboratory Animal  Resources (LAR)

United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)

Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals

Radioactive materials or radiation-producing devices Radiation Safety Committee (RSC)

Radiation Safety (PDF) (EH&S)

Radioactive Waste (EH&S)

Biohazards including:

  • Recombinant DNA
  • Transgenic plants/animals
  • Pathogenic microorganisms
  • Biological toxins
Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC)

NIH Guidelines for Research Involving Recombinant DNA Molecules

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention


Other useful resources:

Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS)

National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Beginning research in an FSHN research lab?

New graduate student or student employee

The New Student Safety Checklist (doc) is a guide for itemizing the steps required before a new graduate student or student employee may begin work in a laboratory.

New faculty and/or staff

The New Faculty/Staff Safety Checklist (doc) is a guide for setting up a new lab and itemizing the steps required to begin work in the lab.

New research technique or changing to a different lab location?

Documentation of these safety requirements must be placed in the lab safety binder.

New research technique safety guidance

Before a new research technique may be performed in the lab, the PI must provide guidance to lab personnel in completing a Hazard Inventory form, perform a needs assessment that can be found on the EH&S website, and create new Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) and train personnel.

Lab personnel changing lab locations

Before lab personnel may begin working in a different lab, they must perform a needs assessment that can be found on the EH&S website, be trained on SOPs, complete a Hazard Inventory form, and undergo lab-specific safety training.

Safety seminars

View the FSHN Safety Seminars to note important safety changes each year.

2016 (PDF) 2016 (PPT)

2015 (PDF)

2014 (PDF)

2013 (PPT)

2012 (PPT)

2011 (PPT)

2010 (PPT)

2009 (PPT)

2008 (PPT)

Top safety fixes

Post Top Ten Safety Violations (doc) as a guide to prevent problems in chemical labs.

Alternate PI Policy

All primary investigators (PI) must designate an alternate (doc) to be responsible for the lab in their absence.

Professor in charge

The Professor-in-Charge List (doc) designates the person in charge of each FSHN laboratory by room number and building.

Shared equipment

The List of Shared Equipment (doc) indicates the professor-in-charge of shared department laboratory instruments. Contact the professor-in-charge for instructions and questions about the equipment.

Rotary evaporation instructions

Instructions (PDF) have been written to enable a user to assemble the vacuum pump, dry ice bath, and rotary evaporator and to properly use the rotary evaporator. It is important to protect the vacuum pump so it will run smoothly for years. If regular ice instead of dry ice is used, see the procedure (PDF)for flaked ice rotoevaporation to help determine how many cold traps must be used in between the dry ice bath and the vacuum pump. If a glass dry ice trap is used for rotoevaporation, follow these manufacturer’s directions (PDF). A photo is included to help visualize the proper setup.

  • Contact Information

    Jeanne W. Stewart, safety contact
    6153 NWRC
    515 294-3926 (office)
    515 291-8968 (cell)


  • Tools