Transfer Students

Transfer students are warmly welcomed in the Food Science and Human Nutrition department at Iowa State University. Use the resources and transfer plans below to determine the courses and programs that are of interest to you.

Faculty and staff are happy to assist with any questions by phone, 515-294-3011, or email us.


Transfer Plans

The following transfer plans can be used by students transferring from most two- and four-year institutions. As noted on each plan, these are accurate on the date they are prepared, but may not reflect subsequent changes by ISU or your transfer institution. For this reason, the transfer plan should be used as a guide only, and should not replace consultation with an academic adviser at Iowa State University.

Transfer plans are available for Iowa community colleges - click here

The following are transfer plans and helpful information by major:

Culinary Food Science

Food Science

Nutritional Science


Pre-diet and Exercise

Campus Resources

Admissions Partnership Program (APP)

The Admissions Partnership Program (APP) gives students access to advisers and resources at Iowa State University while you are at your community college. ISU has the only Culinary Food Science, Dietetics, Diet and Exercise, and Food Science programs in the State of Iowa, so if you know that you want to go into one of these fields, Iowa State is the place to be and APP will help you make a smooth transition!

More »

Campus visits

Visiting campus can provide you with a chance to see campus, visit with an adviser to discuss your transfer coursework and future plan, and perhaps get to see a class.

More »


Students are encouraged to begin the application process to Iowa State University at least six months prior to the anticipated transfer and sooner if possible. Admissions guidelines and requirements can be found on the Iowa State University Transfer Student Admissions webpage.

More »

Keys to a Successful Transfer

Start early and plan ahead

Food Science and Human Nutrition majors are science-based, which means that much of the coursework is sequential and builds from semester to semester. Early planning ensures that you will be taking the courses that you need in the order that you need them.

Communicate with the ISU transfer academic adviser

Plan for early and on-going communication with the transfer academic adviser at Iowa State University and at your current institution. The adviser can help you understand course requirements, how courses will transfer, when the best time will be to transfer, and what steps to take to make the transition smooth. You are welcome to contact the transfer academic adviser at any point prior to and during your transfer.

If you are a current community college student, you are also encouraged to participate in the Admissions Partnership Program (APP) to receive additional access to advisers and other resources at Iowa State University even before your transfer.

Start your science coursework

Even if you are only exploring the possibility of majors in this area, it will benefit you to begin the science coursework recommended in the Food Science and Human Nutrition transfer plans. If you do decide to pursue a major in this area, completion of the science coursework will best position you for a successful and efficient transfer.

Use the transfer plans and resources

The Food Science and Human Nutrition transfer plans have been designed so you can gather the information you need to select appropriate courses at your current institution. Use the transfer plans and the resources provided above to ensure a smooth transition to ISU and FSHN. (The transfer plans are designed as guides and are current as of the date that they are prepared, but should not be used in place of contact with the academic adviser.)