The Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition offers five undergraduate minors:

Culinary Food Science Minor (PDF)

Food and Society Minor (PDF)

Food Safety Minor (PDF)

Food Science Minor (PDF)

Nutrition Minor (PDF)

General requirements

All minors have the following requirements:

  • At least 15 credits must be taken, including at least 6 credits taken at Iowa State University in courses numbered 300 or above.
  • The minor must include at least 9 credits that are not used to meet any other college or university requirement.
  • The same courses may not be applied to two different minors.

Prerequisites: Students must complete prerequisite requirements for courses included in the minor.

To add a minor

Interested students should complete a Request for Minor Form and schedule a meeting with a departmental academic adviser for approval of coursework for the minor.


To discuss the Culinary Food Science, Food and Society, Food Science, or Nutrition minors, contact Amber Kargol at 515-294-2553 or stop by the department office in 220 MacKay Hall to sign up for an appointment with an academic adviser. To discuss the Food Safety Minor, contact Dr. Byron Brehm-Stecher at 515-294-6469.  The Interdepartmental food safety minor is designed to provide undergraduate students with exposure to the principles of food safety to complement their current major and offer new opportunities for their future careers. Depending on the student’s major, the minor enhances the student’s expertise in food safety issues pertinent to the student’s major. Student learning outcomes include: awareness of food safety issues as they appear in each step of the food chain; ability to analyze a situation, identify food safety problems, use resources to gain additional information; develop a procedure or solution to identified problems; examine proposed solutions for viability and effectiveness; and to be able to speak and write about food safety issues. Graduates with a food safety minor are better prepared for employment in agricultural, medical, and veterinary medical agencies and with state, national and international businesses.